There are 3 essential goals for this course:
- Gain a basic understanding of how technology can be integrated into teaching and learning (e.g., factual knowledge, methods, principles, generalizations, theories)
- Develop specific technology skills, competencies, and points of view needed by professionals in the field of education.
- Learn how to find, evaluate, and use technology resources to explore a topic and objective in depth. In other words, can we use technology to more relevantly and meaningfully engage our students in learning? Or, can we use technology to assist teachers in ways that allow them to engage with their students more meaningfully?
You might think this course is only about learning tech tools, but that's only a piece of this course, It's more about designing transformational learning experiences to help our students become...
It's also about integrating technologies and enabling our educators to become...
And, yes, it's about learning technology skills that will help empower and enable you to achieve those previous goals...
Video: This is how we learn... (1:05)
NOTE: Nathan Smith, the course author, has made this course an open education resource (OER), and it is freely available to educators, parents, and students under the creative commons international license (see below for details).
Our class is a team of professionals and pre-professionals. Each week we participate in a learning experience that will expose you to ideas, standards, and examples of schools that are working to transform learning and teaching. You'll be introduced to technology resources and tools that assist educators and students in these efforts.
Each week, you'll reflect on what you've learned, and participate in team discussions around these ideas and standards. We'll share ideas and resources with each other. You'll have the opportunity to expand your personal learning network.
You will learn to use technology resources and tools and integrate them into products and lessons designed around standards and objectives you'll be teaching. You will get to design lessons that will be relevant and meaningful to your own teaching career.
- learn of and apply international standards for integrating technology into education.
- learn about and find tools that will help you achieve those standards in your own specific field of education and learning.
- work as a member of the class team to develop technology-enhanced educational materials that integrate tools you will use to help your students learn the objectives you need to teach.
- share the lessons and educational products you produce with the team, and publicly with educators around the world.
- have continual access to this course - its materials and resources - after you graduate. This site will remain accessible to all educators.
- not only be exposed to technologies you can use in the classroom, but also be shown how many of them are being used successfully in schools.
- be involved in class discussions to share ideas, strategies, tools, and other resources with each other. Our goal is to help each other produce excellent technology-enhanced lessons and educational products we can actually implement and use - and discuss how to take learning deeper and make it more engaging.
- be strongly encouraged to involve yourself in the course and become deeply engaged in thinking about education and learning, and how technologies can enhance the 21st century skills needed in our society today. With the rest of the class, you'll share your own philosophies of learning and teaching. The goal is to deepen, and broaden, your own personal philosophy of teaching and learning!
Material on this website - other than curated internet videos and resources linked to within - are copyright 2019 by Nathan M. Smith Jr. - Updated September 30, 2019
Technology Integration And Innovation in Education by Nathan Smith is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at mailto:Nathan.Smith@usu.edu.